Tuesday 24 April 2012

Starting to Get Back to Normal

It's been an interesting few weeks for me, as I'm starting to feel like myself again. While I still get tired quicker than normal, its a different kind of tired to the bone-aching fatigue I've had until now. The more I do the better I feel (up to a point). I'm even starting to look like myself again (albeit with a very short haircut and a 2 stone weight gain) - my face is much less puffy than it was, my eyelashes are back and I even have eyebrows again.

I've been suffering on and off over the last few months with a pain in my leg. It's not too bad, but it's been niggling at the back of my mind that I should get it checked out, so I set up an appointment with my oncologist last week. I knew that it was likely to be nothing, but occasionally I would start freaking out about it and assume the worst (one of my risks is a spread to bone cancer, and bone pain is a symptom). I was sent off immediately for X-Rays on my leg and thankfully they didn't show up anything. Most likely reason for the pain is that I have shin-splints, because I've been inactive for a while and with my numb feet I'm probably stomping a bit. It's a big relief that it's nothing sinister, but I suppose that I'll always have to deal with random panics over strange aches and pains.

I also went to see my GP, who has agreed that I can start getting back to work in the next few weeks, provided that my 3rd Herceptin treatment went without incident - which it did. Some people I've spoken to have been surprised that I'm so keen to get back to the office, but I just want to get back to being a normal person. Cancer has already stolen 10 months of my life, and I don't intend to let it have any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment