Friday 1 June 2012

Fun and Excitement at the Hospital

It's been a while since I've had an experience at the hospital that was anything other than routine, so obviously my body decided it was time to shake things up a bit yesterday.

Started out nice and normal, off to see the oncologist to review my latest ECG results, which showed a drop in heart function taking me from well above normal to normal, so something to keep an eye on, but not enough to stop treatment.

I popped into work for a few hours whilst waiting for my notes to make a return trip to the clinic where I have my Herceptin, and arrived at the chemo suite about 2pm for my standard 30 minute infusion. About 5-10 minutes in while I'm chatting to the nurse, suddenly my chest tightens, and I start coughing. I'm having an anaphalactic reaction to the drug. Rather than do my normal thing of assuming I'm fine and waiting for it to pass I actually mention that I feel a bit funny. The infusion is immediately stopped I'm asked whats wrong, and I explain, although by this point I'm getting dizzy and I'm struggling to breathe.

Quick as a flash I'm given piriton, hydrocortisone and oxygen, and a doctor is called to take a closer look at me. As I'm hooked up with my port, everthing is given intravenously, so within a few minutes I feel much better, and am just left with a tight feeling in my chest - a bit like the sensation when you are somewhere humid and it's uncomfortable to breathe deeply. My oncologist is called, and discussions are held over what to do with me.

Within an hour I'm strictly under observation, all treatment for the day is stopped. The decision is that I can have another try with the treatment (as I've had 4 previosuly with no problems) but to return to a piriton pre-med and a much slower infusion - basically back to the trial run stage. If I run OK with that they'll consider upping the speed of infusion, but I will probably always need the anti-histamine.

By 4:30 they were ready to release me (Simon came to collect me as piriton makes me very sleepy), and I was able to go home and sleep on the sofa for a few hours. I was told I was lucky as allergic reactions aren't usually caught so quickly, and you can end up in a serious condition very quickly.

Seeing as I'm back in a work fram of mind I'll review my key learnings from today:
  • Even drugs with no side effects can be dangerous and bite you in the ass.
  • Never assume that it's nothing and it will get better by itself.
  • It is OK to 'bug' the nurses, that's what they're there for. You do not have to apologise for having an allergic reaction.
  • I love the NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment